Problems with libgda-1.2.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 14:23:21 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:13, Frank McPherson wrote:

> I'm having trouble building this port. It's in my dependency path
> as I try to install gtk-sharp. I'm running 10.4.9 and the latest
> dev tools. I'm on ports 1.320 and have a mostly-up-to-date set of
> ports installed, including the lastest mysql5.
>
> I try to build libgda with "sudo port install libgda" I get the
> response:
> --->  Extracting libgda
> Error: Target com.apple.patch returned: could not create new link "/
> opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_gnome_libgda/work/pgsql/include" since target "/opt/local/
> include/pgsql8" doesn't exist
>
> Fair enough, I'll just install postgresql80, which appears to be
> the specific port version required by libgda, even though I don't
> use postgresql80. I tried specifying only +mysql, but got the same
> error.
>
> Now I get
> ... (let me know if you want to see all the successful build commands)
> gcc -dynamiclib ${wl}-undefined ${wl}dynamic_lookup -o .libs/
> libgdasql.3.0.0.dylib  .libs/parser.o .libs/lexer.o .libs/
> sql_parser.o .libs/mem.o .libs/sql_display.o .libs/sql_tree.o  -L/
> opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_gnome_libgda/work/pgsql/lib /opt/local/lib/
> libgobject-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libintl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libxslt.dylib /opt/local/lib/
> libz.dylib /opt/local/lib/libxml2.dylib -lpthread -lz /opt/local/
> lib/libiconv.dylib -lm  -Wl,-undefined -Wl,dynamic_lookup -
> install_name  /opt/local/lib/libgdasql.3.dylib -Wl,-
> compatibility_version -Wl,4 -Wl,-current_version -Wl,4.0
> ld: warning -L: directory name (/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_gnome_libgda/work/pgsql/lib) does not exist
> ld: flag: -undefined dynamic_lookup can't be used with
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[1]: *** [libgdasql.la] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

> What's this about a 10.1 deployment target? I'm stumped.

If you do not specify any other value, the default for
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is 10.1. You may want to

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

before building the port. Maybe the port should include that in its
environment. Maybe MacPorts should include that in the environment in
general for all ports. Why doesn't it? I've seen many ports that add
this environment variable. Why leave it up to each individual port to
do this?

However, I don't think that will fix the problem:

> ld: warning -L: directory name (/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_gnome_libgda/work/pgsql/lib) does not exist

libgda should not be looking for /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dp
orts_gnome_libgda/work/pgsql/lib which, true, does not exist
(anymore), nor should it. It should be looking for maybe /opt/local/
pgsql/lib or something similar (I'm not sure exactly since I don't
use PostgreSQL). The author of the libgda port, or maybe the author
of the postgresql80 port, will have to comment as to why it's looking
for the pgsql libraries in the wrong place.