php5 +apache2 +mysql5 does not behave as expected SOLVED

Elise van Looij evlooij at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 27 07:44:27 PDT 2007

Op 22-mrt-2007, om 18:34 heeft Mark Duling het volgende geschreven:

>> This was a problem others had wrestled with as well, I soon found
>> out. It
>> turned out I'd made two mistakes when installing mysql: I hadn't
>> used the
>> +server variant and I hadn't initialized the database. So I
>> uninstalled
>> php5 and mysql5, reinstalled mysql5 +server and followed the
>> instructions
>> in an old post by Ryan Schmidt on how install the main db:
>> [ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.user/619/
>> match=mysql
>> ]http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.user/619/
>> match=mysql
>>

>> I then reinstalled php5 +apache2 +mysql5 and now they're all nice
>> to each
>> other once again.
>
> There are some hacks to for port authors to prevent this behavior I've
> discovered.  I'd be interested to hear if there is a downside to this.

I'm not sure whether this is what you're referring too, but I did run
into one problem. Setting the root password as recommended by the
installation script worked fine with:

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root password
'myBrandNewPassword'

But failed on:

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h MyComputerName.local
password 'myBrandNewPassword'

/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at
'MyComputerName.local' failed
error: 'Host '10.0.0.167' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
server'

I didn't think much of it at the time but when I installed phpMyAdmin
the other day, I soon ran into major problems with user privileges,
the upshot of which was that all of my root accounts were somehow
stripped of their privileges and I had to reinstall the whole thing
once again.

Googling revealed that the ' Host '10.0.0.167' is not allowed' was a
common error in mysql 4.x which was fixed in an upgrade. Nobody has
reported it with MySQL5. Does this have anything to do with the fact
that I installed MySQL5 with the server variant on a regular, non-
server MacOS 10.4 system?

Elise van Looij