php5 +apache2 +mysql5 does not behave as expected SOLVED

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 22 16:40:35 PDT 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 12:34, Mark Duling wrote:

> On Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 8:49 AM, Elise van Looij wrote:
>
>> turned out I'd made two mistakes when installing mysql: I hadn't
>> used the
>> +server variant and I hadn't initialized the database. So I
>> uninstalled
>> php5 and mysql5, reinstalled mysql5 +server and followed the
>> instructions
>> in an old post by Ryan Schmidt on how install the main db:

[snip]

> There are some hacks to for port authors to prevent this behavior I've
> discovered.  I'd be interested to hear if there is a downside to this.
> But if you'd make an empty server variant for the php5 port (variant
> server {}), and within the mysql5 variant use "variant_set server",
> then I
> think that "port installed php5 +apache2 +mysql5" would install
> mysql as a
> dependent using the server variant.  This is because when a port is
> installed with a variant named "foo", all dependents that have
> variants
> named "foo" are installed using the variant.

Rather than litter the php5 port with variants that do not relate to
it, I would prefer that the mysql5 +server variant be moved to a new
mysql5-server port, which would depend on the mysql5 port. php5 would
continue to depend on the mysql5 port, not the mysql5-server port,
since php5 does not require there to be a mysql5 server, but those
who then discover that they want to run a mysql5 server can simply
install the mysql5-server port which will be much quicker for them
than uninstalling and recompiling all of mysql5. See the postgresql82-
server port for an example.