Activating binutils

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 1 03:18:22 PDT 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 15:13, David Liontooth wrote:

> David Liontooth wrote:
>
>> I installed the binutils port (version 2.17), and macports says it's
>> active -- but when I issue
>>
>> x:~# as -v
>> Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-622.5.obj~13, GNU assembler
>> version
>> 1.38
>>
>> This looks like the native assembler version. Is there a way to
>> actually
>> activate the port?
>
> On my Linux machines, /usr/bin/as is part of binutils:
>
> list-files binutils | grep bin
> /usr/bin
> /usr/bin/size
> /usr/bin/ld
> /usr/bin/strip
> /usr/bin/ranlib
> /usr/bin/objdump
> /usr/bin/ar
> /usr/bin/addr2line
> /usr/bin/c++filt
> /usr/bin/nm
> /usr/bin/objcopy
> /usr/bin/gprof
> /usr/bin/strings
> /usr/bin/as
> /usr/bin/readelf
>

> On OSX, the binutils port doesn't include bin/as:
>
> Port binutils contains:
> /opt/local/bin/gaddr2line
> /opt/local/bin/gar
> /opt/local/bin/gc++filt
> /opt/local/bin/gnm
> /opt/local/bin/gobjcopy
> /opt/local/bin/gobjdump
> /opt/local/bin/granlib
> /opt/local/bin/greadelf
> /opt/local/bin/gsize
> /opt/local/bin/gstrings
> /opt/local/bin/gstrip
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ar
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/nm
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/objdump
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ranlib
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/strip
>
> transcode and presumably other packages ask for bin/as. It doesn't
> look
> like it's ported?

You can read the binutils portfile yourself ("port cat binutils |
less") and see that it's not doing anything special -- it's not like
it's deliberately excluding gas.

Upon further investigation, I see that the configure script provided
with binutils simply does not build gas on Darwin (i.e. Mac OS X):

   *-*-darwin*)
     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ld gas gdb gprof"
     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs sim target-rda"
     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ${libgcj}"
     ;;

I do not know why they do this, or whether you would get a working
gas by simply taking it out of the noconfigdirs list. You could give
it a try and let us know.