Activating binutils

Elias Pipping pipping at macports.org
Tue May 1 04:58:28 PDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Upon further investigation, I see that the configure script
> provided with binutils simply does not build gas on Darwin (i.e.
> Mac OS X):
>
>   *-*-darwin*)
>     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ld gas gdb gprof"
>     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs sim target-rda"
>     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs ${libgcj}"
>     ;;
>
> I do not know why they do this, or whether you would get a working
> gas by simply taking it out of the noconfigdirs list. You could
> give it a try and let us know.

judging by the manpages, Apple uses variants of as(1)[1] very
different to
gnu's. (the same goes for ld(1) [2]) - gnu binutils's as/ld/... probably
can't handle Mach-O binaries and/or universal binaries.

[1] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/
ManPages/man1/as.1.html
[2] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/
ManPages/man1/ld.1.html