Error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 5 22:22:50 PDT 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 23:51, Mervyn wrote:

> I removed Fink by following the FAQ in their website. Fink links
> have been removed as seen below.
> barcajax:~ barcajax$ echo $PATH
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
>
> But there are still errors when running Macports.
> barcajax:~ barcajax$ sudo port install -v wireshark
> --->  Configuring fontconfig
> Error: Target com.apple.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dports_graphics_fontconfig/work/fontconfig- 2.4.2" && ./configure --
> prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/opt/local/share/man --with-add-fonts=/
> Library/Fonts,/Network/Library/Fonts,/System/Library/Fonts,/usr/
> X11R6/lib/X11/fonts,/opt/local/share/fonts " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for random... yes
> checking for lrand48... yes
> checking for a usable iconv... no
> checking for freetype-config... /opt/local/bin/freetype-config
> checking for FT_Get_Next_Char... yes
> checking for FT_Get_BDF_Property... yes
> checking for FT_Get_PS_Font_Info... yes
> checking for FT_Has_PS_Glyph_Names... yes
> checking for FT_Get_X11_Font_Format... yes
> checking for FT_Bitmap_Size.y_ppem... yes
> checking expat.h usability... no
> checking expat.h presence... no
> checking for expat.h... no
> checking xmlparse.h usability... no
> checking xmlparse.h presence... no
> checking for xmlparse.h... no
> configure: WARNING: Cannot find usable expat library. Trying to use
> libxml2 as fallback.
> checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for LIBXML2... configure: error: Package requirements
> (libxml-2.0 >= 2.6) were not met:
>
> No package 'libxml-2.0' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBXML2_CFLAGS
> and LIBXML2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>

> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gtk2 pango Xft2
> fontconfig xrender render cairo tiff jpeg libpcap openssl

Ok, fontconfig says it can't find expat. But expat is definitely
declared as a dependency of fontconfig (see "port deps fontconfig").
So the expat port should definitely be installed. Is it? Also, are
using using the latest MacPorts, 1.4.3? I believe you are, since
earlier in the thread we advised you to selfupdate which should have
updated you to 1.4.3.

After you removed Fink, did you rebuild all the ports you already
installed with MacPorts? If not, I recommend doing that, since I
can't say for certain that they were built correctly in the presence
of Fink. Easiest might be to get the list of installed ports ("port
installed") and for each one, just uninstall it ("sudo port -f
uninstall <portname>"). Then install wireshark, which should
reinstall all its dependencies.