Error

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sat May 5 22:59:13 PDT 2007

Hi Mervyn,

On 05/05/2007, at 16:54, Mervyn wrote:

> The following ports are currently installed:
>   expat @2.0.0_1
>   gettext @0.16.1_0
>   libiconv @1.11_4+darwin_8
>   perl5.8 @5.8.8_0+darwin_8 (active)
>   pkgconfig @0.21_0 (active)
> Gettext is already in there.

It's true that gettext, expat and libiconv are installed, but they're
not _activated_; what MacPorts allows multiple versions of a port to
be installed but only one of them to be active at a time.  This
allows for, among other things, the ability to retain an older
version as fallback, in which case you need only deactivate a newer
version that you're having problems with and reactivating the older
one.  I use it for testing new and updated ports (at least when I
remember) so I don't have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling.
That's all by the by, though.

In short, I don't know why expat, gettext and libiconv aren't active,
but once you run "sudo port activate libiconv gettext expat", you
should have fixed the current problem at least.  Having two package
systems installed at once is not a good idea unless you really know
what you're doing, but I'm pretty sure in this case that the Fink
install was causing the problems you saw.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)