rsync errors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 6 23:35:57 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 00:05, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> If none of the above work, you could see if you can check out the
> dports part of the trunk from svn [1] and using that as a local
> port tree by editing ${prefix}/etc/ports/sources.conf to add the
> path to which you checked out a working copy (before the rsync
> one).  Keep in mind that this will mean: (a) that you will get
> warnings about having multiple port definitions (this isn't really
> a problem);

Not true, if your Subversion working copy is your only ports tree
(comment out the rsync one).

> (b) that you will need to update your svn working copy via the "svn
> update" command rather than "sudo port sync";

Not true; with MacPorts 1.4.3, "sudo port sync" will update ports
trees which are Subversion working copies.

> (c) you can't use this to automatically update the MacPorts base
> code (though it's not that much more difficult);

I do believe that's true. But you can keep a working copy of the
latest tag of base, and switch to the new tag when a new version is
released, and configure, make and sudo make install it yourself.

> and (d) you'll use more space than otherwise necessary, especially
> if you switch between using svn checkout and using port sync.

Yes, a Subversion working copy will use a bit more than twice the
space of a simple directory compared with rsync. That, at least,
would be the rational explanation. Sadly, I see that my working copy
of the ports tree weighs in at 161MB, while "svn export"ing that to a
plain directory reduces it all the way down to 33MB. It hardly seems
right that the working copy should be almost 5 times larger than the
plain directory. But there we are. C'est la vie.