rsync errors

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Sun May 6 23:47:53 PDT 2007

On 7.5.2007, at 9.35, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 7, 2007, at 00:05, Boey Maun Suang wrote:
>
>> If none of the above work, you could see if you can check out the
>> dports part of the trunk from svn [1] and using that as a local
>> port tree by editing ${prefix}/etc/ports/sources.conf to add the
>> path to which you checked out a working copy (before the rsync
>> one).  Keep in mind that this will mean: (a) that you will get
>> warnings about having multiple port definitions (this isn't really
>> a problem);
>
> Not true, if your Subversion working copy is your only ports tree
> (comment out the rsync one).
>
>> (b) that you will need to update your svn working copy via the
>> "svn update" command rather than "sudo port sync";
>
> Not true; with MacPorts 1.4.3, "sudo port sync" will update ports
> trees which are Subversion working copies.

This is a small problem, however, because svn tree should be my
territory. After sync (or selfupdate I am using more) svn tree is
root-owned. Then I can't update the svn tree without changing the
owner, which is done easily, though. This is conceptually an
annoyance, anyhow, because my sandbox shouldn't be mixed with the
system sandbox.

>> (c) you can't use this to automatically update the MacPorts base
>> code (though it's not that much more difficult);
>
> I do believe that's true. But you can keep a working copy of the
> latest tag of base, and switch to the new tag when a new version is
> released, and configure, make and sudo make install it yourself.
>
>> and (d) you'll use more space than otherwise necessary, especially
>> if you switch between using svn checkout and using port sync.
>
> Yes, a Subversion working copy will use a bit more than twice the
> space of a simple directory compared with rsync. That, at least,
> would be the rational explanation. Sadly, I see that my working
> copy of the ports tree weighs in at 161MB, while "svn export"ing
> that to a plain directory reduces it all the way down to 33MB. It
> hardly seems right that the working copy should be almost 5 times
> larger than the plain directory. But there we are. C'est la vie.

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	skype:jyrkiwahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386