hosting an internal macports server with binaries

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Tue May 8 00:38:37 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Such a format does exist: It's called a .pkg file and you interact
> with them every time you install an Apple software update. However,
> I don't think there's any functionality in MacPorts to create or
> use package files.

Oh really?

root at sam-> port pkg zsh-devel
--->  Fetching zsh-devel
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zsh-devel
--->  Extracting zsh-devel
--->  Configuring zsh-devel
--->  Building zsh-devel with target all
--->  Staging zsh-devel into destroot
--->  Creating pkg for zsh-devel-4.3.4
root at sam-> ls -l ~/Src/macports/dports/shells/zsh-devel/work/
total 4
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   222 May  8 00:37 .darwinports.zsh-
devel.state
drwxrwxr-x    3 root  wheel   102 May  8 00:36 destroot
drwxr-xr-x   42 root  admin  1428 May  8 00:35 zsh-4.3.4
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  admin   102 May  8 00:36 zsh-devel-4.3.4.pkg

You can also do use the "mpkg" target for ports with dependencies;
this will cause a metapackage to be built which contains all the
deps, making the package stand-alone.

This functionality has been in macports for a long time. :)

- Jordan