grace upgrade problem (was: MacPorts v1.4.40 released for self update)

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue May 8 03:02:11 PDT 2007

Hi Jochen,

On 08/05/2007, at 18:30, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>> Release 1.4.40 (7-May-2007, tagged at r24909 by jberry):
>
> So I selfupdate and run sudo port upgrade outdated... mostly works,
> but grace does not want to be activated:
>
> > sudo nice port -vd upgrade grace
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/x11/grace
> --->  Activating grace 5.1.20_0
> DEBUG: Image error: Another version of this port (grace @5.1.18_0)
> is already active.
>     while executing
> "portimage::activate $portname $version_installed$variant
> $optionslist"
> Error: Activating grace 5.1.20_0 failed: Image error: Another
> version of this port (grace @5.1.18_0) is already active.

This is part of the functionality of MacPorts: you can have multiple
versions installed, but only one activated at a time; there will be a
discussion elsewhere about all the reasons why this is useful, but I
use it for testing updates to ports without having to have archives
lying around or waiting for an entire port to rebuild if the one I'm
working on fails and I need the old one.

To take care of this, you can:

  (1) supply the -u flag to upgrade, which will deactivate and
uninstall any older versions of a port before installing and
activating the latest one (this is what I usually do);
  (2) manually deactivate the old port and activate the new one,
which will leave the old port still installed; or
  (3) manually uninstall the old port and activate the new one, as
you did, which will remove the old port (but still leave the binary
archive of it if you have archive mode set in your ports.conf).

> MacPorts now says that 5.1.20 is already installed, but when I
> actually look in XmGrace it is still at 5.1.18...
>
> > sudo port list grace
> grace                          @5.1.20         x11/grace

This command will only list the latest version of a port as listed in
PortIndex (of which there will be only one if you are using only one
repository in your sources.conf).  If you had instead typed "sudo
port installed grace" after the successful install but failed
activation, you would have seen something like:

 > sudo port installed grace
   grace @5.1.18_0 (active)
   grace @5.1.20_0

(By the way, you don't actually need to sudo port's information
actions.)

I hope that this clarifies things for you.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)