grace upgrade problem (was: MacPorts v1.4.40 released for self update)

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Tue May 8 06:54:41 PDT 2007

On 08.05.2007, at 12:02, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

>> So I selfupdate and run sudo port upgrade outdated... mostly
>> works, but grace does not want to be activated:
>>
>> > sudo nice port -vd upgrade grace
>> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
>> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/x11/grace
>> --->  Activating grace 5.1.20_0
>> DEBUG: Image error: Another version of this port (grace @5.1.18_0)
>> is already active.
>>     while executing
>> "portimage::activate $portname $version_installed$variant
>> $optionslist"
>> Error: Activating grace 5.1.20_0 failed: Image error: Another
>> version of this port (grace @5.1.18_0) is already active.
>
> This is part of the functionality of MacPorts: you can have
> multiple versions installed, but only one activated at a time;
> there will be a discussion elsewhere about all the reasons why this
> is useful, but I use it for testing updates to ports without having
> to have archives lying around or waiting for an entire port to
> rebuild if the one I'm working on fails and I need the old one.

Well, not exactly consistent, apparently.

I did:
   sudo nice port upgrade -u outdated

But this then results in many erros due to non-versioned dependencies:

--->  Activating grace 5.1.20_0
Error: Activating grace 5.1.20_0 failed: Image error: Another version
of this port (grace @5.1.18_0) is already active.
--->  Fetching pango
--->  Attempting to fetch pango-1.16.4.tar.bz2 from http://
mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/pango/1.16
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for pango
--->  Extracting pango
--->  Applying patches to pango
--->  Configuring pango
--->  Building pango with target all
--->  Staging pango into destroot
--->  Unable to uninstall pango 1.16.2_0, the following ports depend
on it:
--->    graphviz
--->    gtk2
Error: Uninstall pango 1.16.2_0 failed: Please uninstall the ports
that depend on pango first.
--->  Fetching sqlite3
--->  Attempting to fetch sqlite-3.3.17.tar.gz from http://
www.sqlite.org/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for sqlite3
--->  Extracting sqlite3
--->  Applying patches to sqlite3
--->  Configuring sqlite3
--->  Building sqlite3 with target all
--->  Staging sqlite3 into destroot
--->  Unable to uninstall sqlite3 3.3.16_0+darwin_8, the following
ports depend on it:
--->    apr-util
Error: Uninstall sqlite3 3.3.16_0+darwin_8 failed: Please uninstall
the ports that depend on sqlite3 first.

Therefore I say

 > sudo nice port upgrade outdated

which works for all (!) ports but grace:

--->  Activating grace 5.1.20_0
Error: Activating grace 5.1.20_0 failed: Image error: Another version
of this port (grace @5.1.18_0) is already active.
--->  Deactivating pango 1.16.2_0
--->  Installing pango 1.16.4_0
--->  Activating pango 1.16.4_0
--->  Cleaning pango
--->  Deactivating sqlite3 3.3.16_0+darwin_8
--->  Installing sqlite3 3.3.17_0+darwin_8
--->  Activating sqlite3 3.3.17_0+darwin_8
--->  Cleaning sqlite3

in that light, thank you for your clarifications, but
   port upgrade -u outdated
is not very useful, as most port are a dependency of something...
I normally retreat to
   port upgrade outdated
but this did not work for grace, whereas it worked for pango and
sqlite3 and also worked all the times I used it before.

No problem, I could easily work around it, just thought I let you know.

Btw, it would be nice to have "port upgrade -u" really work.

Anyway, thank all of you very much for your help and a beautiful
system (MacPorts;)!

Greetings,
Jochen
--