installing old versions of port (was: grace upgrade problem)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 9 11:03:09 PDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 04:10, Jochen Küpper wrote:

> On 09.05.2007, at 02:27, Boey Maun Suang wrote:
>
>> As for the failure to upgrade grace here, I'm guessing that the
>> reason was that, at the time you ran "port upgrade outdated", you
>> had the two versions of grace already installed and port thought
>> it only had to activate the newer one (which failed because the
>> older one was already active), whereas you had only one version
>> installed of each of the other ports, and so it did deactivated
>> the old one before installing the new one.  If this is what it
>> did, then that looks to me like a bug.  If you (or others reading
>> this) would be so kind as to try to reproduce and confirm this
>> (and then file it as a bug if you do), or otherwise figure out
>> what is happening, that would be most helpful.
>
> Could be. Not sure there is a way to still find out.
>
> Well, I thought I could try to reproduce it, so I uninstalled grace
> and tried to install the old version, but that does apparently not
> work:
>
> > sudo port install grace @5.1.18_0
> --->  Fetching grace
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for grace
> --->  Extracting grace
> --->  Configuring grace
> --->  Building grace with target all
> --->  Staging grace into destroot
> --->  Installing grace 5.1.20_0
> --->  Activating grace 5.1.20_0
> --->  Cleaning grace
>

> Ho can I install an old version of a port?

MacPorts does not provide a built-in way to do that. If you want to
do that, you can locate an older version of the portfile by browsing
the MacPorts Subversion repository on the MacPorts web site, then
download the portfile and place it on your hard drive overwriting the
current version of the hard drive. (Use "port file foo" to find out
where foo's portfile lives.) When you're done playing and want the
current version back, "sudo port sync".