Postfix warnings when starting (harmless?)

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:49:33 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Sbranzo <sbranzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/07 01:27, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
> >  # postfix start
> >
> >  /opt/local/etc/postfix/postfix-script: line 200: ls: command not found
> >  postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root:
> >  /opt/local/libexec/postfix
> <...>
> >  The  warnings about the command "ls" not being found in the
> postfix-script
> >  on lines 200 and line 1 is quite strange (when I vi postfix-script line
> 1 is
> >  not attempting to use the ls command but line 200 is). This is what
> line 200
>
> <..>
>
> Hi Tabitha,

Hello Gufo ...

this is a misbehaviuor I alrady spotted the first time I installed
> postfix. If I recall correctly it's a matter of changing in
> postfix-script the command "ls" with "/bin/ls".
> On some installation this doesn't show up, because if coreutils (maybe
> +with_default_names) is installed it disappear.

Thank you for the suggestions. Indeed, in postfix-script, everywhere (only
three places, lines 200, 211 and 225) there was a bare "ls" I replaced it
with "/bin/ls" and those errors then disappeared. I also changed the
ownership of

/opt/local/var/spool/postfix/public/.turd_postfix

to postfix:postdrop

and now when I start postfix on both machines (Intel and PowerPC) there are
no warning messages at startup (I only tested with some simple relays and
accepting mail from the local domain, nothing otherwise too fancy yet).

Can you please try changing the lines where the problem arise and report
> it back, maybe with a diff from the original postfix script?

Oops, I went to fast and I already made the postfix-script changes so I
don't have a pure diff but the lines I mentioned above (just a find and
replace on the only "ls" on those lines with a "/bin/ls" works perfect.

Also, on the bug report, I wonder if there is a work around for the TLS /
OpenSSL problem? Did you get yours to work by reverting back to OpenSSL
0.9.7 from 0.9.8?

Thanks a ton,

T.M.

Bye,