Introduction to MacPorts Please?

Scott C. Kennedy sck at nogas.org
Thu May 10 12:15:35 PDT 2007

Diane, MacPorts... MacPorts, Diane. Okay now you're introduced. :)

MacPorts is a distribution of Unix utilities for the Macintosh, like the
Fink project. MacPorts is a framework of port files that allows the user
to download, compile, and install all the necessary dependancies for
Unix utilities (like jailkit) in order to have them work correctly. To
install MacPorts, just download the installer and run it. To use
MacPorts, you need to opena terminal window, and use the
'/opt/local/bin/port' command to then use MacPorts to do things, like...

Find out about what jailkit is

    Biko:~ sck$ port info jailkit
    jailkit 1.2, security/jailkit (Variants: universal)
    http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/

    Jailkit is a set of utilities to allow quick creation of limited
    user accounts in a chroot jail. It contains a safe logging daemon,
    shells that can restrict users, utilities to start daemons in a
    chroot jail, and utilities for easy setup of chroot jails.

    Library Dependencies: python23
    Platforms: darwin
    Maintainers: nomaintainer at macports.org

Find out about what files are installed as part of jailkit.

    Biko:~ sck$ port contents jailkit
    Port jailkit contains:
      /opt/local/etc/jailkit/jk_check.ini
      /opt/local/etc/jailkit/jk_chrootsh.ini
      /opt/local/etc/jailkit/jk_init.ini
      /opt/local/etc/jailkit/jk_lsh.ini
      /opt/local/etc/jailkit/jk_socketd.ini
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_addjailuser
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_check
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_chrootlaunch
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_chrootsh
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_cp
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_init
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_lsh
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_procmailwrapper
      /opt/local/sbin/jk_socketd
      /opt/local/share/doc/jailkit/COPYRIGHT
      /opt/local/share/doc/jailkit/INSTALL.txt
      /opt/local/share/doc/jailkit/README.txt
      /opt/local/share/jailkit/jk_lib.py
      /opt/local/share/jailkit/jk_lib.pyc
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jailkit.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_addjailuser.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_check.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_chrootlaunch.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_chrootsh.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_cp.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_init.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_lsh.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_procmailwrapper.8.gz
      /opt/local/share/man/man8/jk_socketd.8.gz

And install jailkit on my Mac.

    Biko:~ sck$ sudo port install jailkit
    Password:
    --->  Fetching jailkit
    --->  Attempting to fetch jailkit-1.2.tar.bz2 from
    http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/
    --->  Verifying checksum(s) for jailkit
    --->  Extracting jailkit
    --->  Applying patches to jailkit
    --->  Configuring jailkit
    --->  Building jailkit with target all
    --->  Staging jailkit into destroot
    --->  Installing jailkit 1.2_0
    --->  Activating jailkit 1.2_0
    --->  Cleaning jailkit

Now jailkit is installed on my machine, and I can use 'man jailkit' to
find out more about the system.

Scott