Firefox 2.0?

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Fri May 11 04:31:41 PDT 2007

On 2007-05-11 05:19:46 -0400, Randall Wood wrote:

> On 11 May 2007, at 02:48, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something here? Would not a port come from the linux side and
>> thereby x11?
>> I mean are ports basically unix? Yes, I know of the aqua branch of ports.
>
> Mac OS X is basically unix. However, given all the minor differences
> between unix versions and linux versions, it is pretty much impossible to
> build a complex application that really does not care what variant of unix
> its running on. [...]

Does the X11 version run on Linux only? Or does it run on Solaris and
FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD as well? In the latter case, isn't there a good
chance to make it work on Mac OS X (Darwin) + X11 too without many
changes? Or does Mac OS X have too many specificities not common to
some other supported OS?

Also, Firefox/Gecko uses GTK+ under X11. Hasn't most of the hard work
been done by porting GTK+?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>