Installing mplayer

Eric Cronin ecronin at gizmolabs.org
Fri May 11 16:37:55 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Boey Maun Suang wrote:

> Hi Elise,
>
>> Which variants should one choose when installing mplayer on an
>> Intel MacBook running OS 10.4.9? I've installed fontconfig
>> (pkgconfig was already installed). I'm hoping mplayer will let me
>> play all those videos on the BBC website that RealPlayer gives
>> connection errors on.
>
> +binary_codecs will install the files containing whatever support
> MPlayer has for RealMedia on the Mac; I've had success listening to
> RealAudio from the BBC website, but I've never tried accessing
> RealVideo streams.  As for the other variants, for now you should
> be able to Google their names and get enough information to find
> out what they do (we will be adding support for descriptions of
> variants some time in the future).

+binary_codecs on intel currently installs the .dll's, but does not
use them.  I've been hoping the MPlayer team would come out with a
new rc (supposedly this is fixed in svn), but updating the port to
use a svn snapshot is on my todo list.  In the meantime you might
want to try VLC, I know they have a lot of codecs supported too...

Thanks,
Eric