PkgConfig checksum failure

Michael Cook mcook2 at mts.net
Mon May 14 22:48:14 PDT 2007

I'd been getting this error for the last two or three days - at least
since since Friday May 11.

At first I  figured someone must be working on something and that it
would sort itself out when a new version of the file was available.
Also, I read somewhere that a mirror gets refreshed weekly(?), but I
still kept getting the same as other folks have reported:

port install php5
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for pkgconfig
Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
Error: Target com.apple.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
checksums
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: curl pkgconfig
expat freetype gettext libiconv jpeg libmcrypt libpng libxml2 libxslt
mhash pcre tiff

This happened twice more just yesterday.

Looking at Ryan's post of May 6th, I went to http://
pkgconfig.freedesktop.org, saw pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz at http://
pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/, and was able to download it and
un-tar it successfully.

I looked in /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/pkgconfig and found
the cause of my continuing problem to be a truncated pkg-
config-0.21.tar.gz, only 238 bytes in length.

I copied the good file to /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/
pkgconfig and now my install seems to be running happily.

I'm new to Darwinports/Macports, but have used Fink and Fink
Commander quite a bit previously and never had a similar problem.  I
haven't dug into how Darwinports/Macports works, but I will.

Meantime, shouldn't "port install" be able to trap such an error and
recover from it by downloading the file again?

Michael Cook
mcook2 at mts.net
204-452-2720
http://www.michaelcook.ca and http://www.skyprod.net