PkgConfig checksum failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 15 00:02:24 PDT 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 00:48, Michael Cook wrote:

> I'd been getting this error for the last two or three days - at
> least since since Friday May 11.
>
> At first I  figured someone must be working on something and that
> it would sort itself out when a new version of the file was
> available.  Also, I read somewhere that a mirror gets refreshed
> weekly(?), but I still kept getting the same as other folks have
> reported:
>
> port install php5
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for pkgconfig
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
> Error: Target com.apple.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: curl pkgconfig
> expat freetype gettext libiconv jpeg libmcrypt libpng libxml2
> libxslt mhash pcre tiff
>
> This happened twice more just yesterday.
>
> Looking at Ryan's post of May 6th, I went to http://
> pkgconfig.freedesktop.org, saw pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz at http://
> pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/, and was able to download it
> and un-tar it successfully.
>
> I looked in /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/pkgconfig and found
> the cause of my continuing problem to be a truncated pkg-
> config-0.21.tar.gz, only 238 bytes in length.
>
> I copied the good file to /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/
> pkgconfig and now my install seems to be running happily.
>
> I'm new to Darwinports/Macports, but have used Fink and Fink
> Commander quite a bit previously and never had a similar problem.
> I haven't dug into how Darwinports/Macports works, but I will.
>
> Meantime, shouldn't "port install" be able to trap such an error
> and recover from it by downloading the file again?

You got a bad download because the pkg-config web site was broken for
over a week until it was fixed today. If you consult the FAQ, you
will see instructions for how to fix checksum problems if they occur
again in the future:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#IgetError:checksummd5/sha1/rmd160mismatchforport.WhatcanIdoaboutit

Reason #1 applies in your case. "sudo port clean --dist pkgconfig"
followed by "sudo port install pkgconfig" would attempt the download
again.

It might not be a bad idea for MacPorts to automatically try to
download again if it encounters an existing distfile with a bad
checksum.

Related: if MacPorts downloads a file with a bad checksum, and there
are multiple master_sites, might it not be a good idea for it to try
to download it from some of the other master_sites to see if maybe
they have a correct archive?