Problem with universal variant of jpeg ...

William Gallafent william at gallaf.net
Tue May 15 08:48:05 PDT 2007

Hi,

I previously had the standard variant of jpeg installed, but
wanted to upgrade to universal, for testing some software
targetting both architectures.

So, I typed 'sudo port install jpeg +universal', which
apparently worked, but strangely only the static library is
universal, the dylib is i386 only:

humber:~ williamg$ file /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked
shared library i386
humber:~ williamg$ file /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a
/opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a (for architecture i386):       current
ar archive random library
/opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a (for architecture ppc):        current
ar archive

I did a little bit of fiddling with the Portfile, which didn't
help, and I'd now like to completely clean jpeg (including the
source directory) and start again from scratch without jpeg
installed, to see if it works correctly from a clean starting
point (rather than from a different variant being installed to
start with).

'sudo port uninstall jpeg' doesn't work because there are many
dependent packages. Is there a way to force the uninstall so
that I can install jpeg+universal from a clean slate? Is the
universal variant of libjpeg known to be broken in this way, or
have I screwed something up in my system?

Thanks,

--
Bill Gallafent.