Problem with universal variant of jpeg ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 15 13:41:32 PDT 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 10:48, William Gallafent wrote:

> I previously had the standard variant of jpeg installed, but
> wanted to upgrade to universal, for testing some software
> targetting both architectures.
>
> So, I typed 'sudo port install jpeg +universal', which
> apparently worked, but strangely only the static library is
> universal, the dylib is i386 only:
>
> humber:~ williamg$ file /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked
> shared library i386
> humber:~ williamg$ file /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2
> architectures
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a (for architecture i386):       current
> ar archive random library
> /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.a (for architecture ppc):        current
> ar archive
>
> I did a little bit of fiddling with the Portfile, which didn't
> help, and I'd now like to completely clean jpeg (including the
> source directory) and start again from scratch without jpeg
> installed, to see if it works correctly from a clean starting
> point (rather than from a different variant being installed to
> start with).
>
> 'sudo port uninstall jpeg' doesn't work because there are many
> dependent packages. Is there a way to force the uninstall so
> that I can install jpeg+universal from a clean slate? Is the
> universal variant of libjpeg known to be broken in this way, or
> have I screwed something up in my system?

sudo port -f uninstall jpeg

The universal variant was recently added to the base MacPorts
software and is available to all ports, but is not guaranteed to work
with all ports. Probably has not been tested much.

The universal variant of jpeg probably does not work. jpeg does not
use the standard autoconf method so it will probably be more
difficult to get it to build a universal binary. If you can figure
out how to build jpeg universally, please provide a patch in a new
ticket in Trac and assign it to the maintainer of the jpeg port and
also cc the maintainer on the ticket.