General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL)

Andrew Sullivan andrew at ca.afilias.info
Fri May 18 11:18:04 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:57:55PM -0500, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> Perhaps if you are a home user with an iMac or a laptop you can get
> by with Apache 1.3, (we're talking 4 or 5 years after Apache 2 became
> available) but certainly if you are shelling out a bunch of money for
> OSX Server, Apple should be more forthcoming.

This is where your assumotion goes wrong: Apple has used the
community-provided software to build a product, OS X.  If you don't
like all the details of that product (and I'll tell you that, from my
point of view, Apache 1.3 is still _just fine_), then you can alter your
system to do this.  And in fact the ports project provides a (not
perfect, but good) infrastructure to make those alterations.  But just
like any other technology, if you're going to start mucking with the
insides, the vendor shouldn't take the blame for problems you
encounter.

That said, I think you're starting to understand why all those former
LISP machine users switched to the early Apple Macintoshes when they
did.  Because UNIX sucks.  It just sucks less than everything else
widely used these days:

http://www.simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf

<andrew at ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf at jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110