General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL)

Chris Pickel chpickel at stwing.upenn.edu
Fri May 18 11:25:38 PDT 2007

On 18 May, 2007, at 13:57, Bill Hernandez wrote:
> [LENGTHY INCOHERENT RANT]

> [GENERAL QUESTIONS]
>
> Before I install (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL) I wanted to
> find out if there was a preferred way of doing this ?
>
> It seems like PHP should be last because of the --with APXS2 that
> requires a path  to Apache, but in this case where MacPorts knows
> where everything is going to be installed anyway maybe it doesn'
> matter ?

Well, you're going to want to install php5 with the +apache2 variant
(among others). In this case, MacPorts will make sure apache2 is
installed first.

> Any ideas what variants I should use, I didn't find where the
> information is stored, about what the different variants do, and
> which one I should choose ?

Support for variant descriptions is in MacPorts, but only for about
the past week, so they're not available for many ports yet. They
would be printed by `port variants`, but I don't see anything for the
ports you want.

I think apache2 should be OK with the default setup. For mysql5 and
postgresql, you will need the +server variant; this seems to trip a
lot of people up when they install just the client libraries.
Postgresql seems to have bindings for Perl, Java, and Tcl; add any
needed.

php5 is where you're going to have the most choices, variant-wise.
You definitely want +apache2 +postgresql +mysql5 but there are plenty
of other variants. Mainly, the others map to configure options, so
either you could guess from the names of variants (mostly descriptive
enough) or you could try reading the portfile (it's at `port file
php5`). You *don't* want +macosx, which will build php for the
Apple's server, rather than MacPorts'.

> [2007.18.05](07:13AM) -> [bhernandez] ~ $ port variants Apache2
> Apache2 has the variants:
>         universal
>         darwin
>         darwin_7
>         openbsd
>         openldap
>         preforkmpm
>         workermpm
>         eventmpm
>         no_startupitem
> [2007.18.05](07:17AM) -> [bhernandez] ~ $

The first four you don't need to worry about. +universal will attempt
to build universal binaries which work on both PowerPC and Intel. The
next three are platforms, which are detected automatically and can be
effectively ignored.

+openldap I believe has to do with authentication; the MPMs deal with
particular ways to do process management. If you don't know what they
are, you don't need them.

+no_startupitem would avoid installing the relevant launchd script
to /Library/LaunchDaemons. Again, I don't see any reason you would
need this.

Chris