General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL)

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Fri May 18 13:56:14 PDT 2007

At 14:53 -0500 18/5/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On May 18, 2007, at 14:37, Chris Pickel wrote:
>
>>On 18 May, 2007, at 15:18, Mark Hattam wrote:
>>
>>>That's handy to know, as I have
>>>   php5 @5.2.2_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5 (active)
>>>
>>>on my Powerbook G4Ti ... I'd never have guessed that +macosx
>>>wasn't intended for the standard MacOSX 10.4.9 which I have
>>>installed. Seems to work fine though ...
>>
>>This appears to be weird interaction between +apache2 and +macosx
>>(because Apple of course ships a 1.3 version). The +macosx variant
>>should probably depends apache so it will conflict with +apache2.
>
>As one of the php5 maintainers, let me clear this up.
>
>On any port, +macosx, if available, is auto-selected if you're
>running Mac OS X, which is everybody. It does not automatically use
>Apple's Apache 1.3 installation. Rather: the +apache variant
>currently does that. Also, currently, if you do not specify either
>+apache or +apache2, the php5 port will act as though you selected
>+apache.
>
>I find this confusing and intend to fix it soon so that +apache uses
>the MacPorts apache port. There will then be a new variant
>+apache_apple which will use Apple's Apache. And the default, if you
>select neither +apache nor +apache2, will be to not include any
>Apache support. This seems clearest.

Well, I use Apache2 ... and these are what I used ...

   apache2 @2.2.4_0 (active)
   mysql5 @5.0.41_0+darwin_8+server (active)
   php5 @5.2.2_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5 (active)

and it seems to work OK.

But for next time, I don't need to specify the +macosx variant on
php5 ... correct? Though in practice it doesn't matter whether I do
or don't?

Also looking back at Chris's original reply which included ...
"You definitely want +apache2 +postgresql +mysql5 but there are
plenty of other variants"

why would I "definitely want"  +postgresql  ?

Mark