General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, PostgreSQL, mySQL)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 18 14:16:09 PDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 15:56, Mark Hattam wrote:

> At 14:53 -0500 18/5/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> As one of the php5 maintainers, let me clear this up.
>>
>> On any port, +macosx, if available, is auto-selected if you're
>> running Mac OS X, which is everybody. It does not automatically
>> use Apple's Apache 1.3 installation. Rather: the +apache variant
>> currently does that. Also, currently, if you do not specify either
>> +apache or +apache2, the php5 port will act as though you selected
>> +apache.
>>
>> I find this confusing and intend to fix it soon so that +apache
>> uses the MacPorts apache port. There will then be a new variant
>> +apache_apple which will use Apple's Apache. And the default, if
>> you select neither +apache nor +apache2, will be to not include
>> any Apache support. This seems clearest.
>

> Well, I use Apache2 ... and these are what I used ...
>
>   apache2 @2.2.4_0 (active)
>   mysql5 @5.0.41_0+darwin_8+server (active)
>   php5 @5.2.2_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5 (active)
>
> and it seems to work OK.
>
> But for next time, I don't need to specify the +macosx variant on
> php5 ... correct? Though in practice it doesn't matter whether I do
> or don't?

You never need to specify +macosx or +darwin or +darwin_8 or +i386
with any port ever. MacPorts will automatically select these OS- and
platform-specific variants for you as needed by the version of the OS
installed and the architecture of the processor in your Mac.

> Also looking back at Chris's original reply which included ...
> "You definitely want +apache2 +postgresql +mysql5 but there are
> plenty of other variants"
>
> why would I "definitely want"  +postgresql  ?

You may not, but Bill probably does, because he specifically
mentioned PHP 5 and PostgreSQL: