heimdal/coreutils issue: how to resolve?

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sun May 20 23:40:15 PDT 2007

On 2007-05-20 23:47:13 -0400, Chris Pickel wrote:
> On 20 May, 2007, at 23:06, paul beard wrote:
>> How can we get aound this contention over /opt/local/bin/su, since both
>> heimdal and coreutils claim it as theirs?
>
> Doesn't/shouldn't coreutils install /opt/local/bin/gsu and not
> /opt/local/bin/su? For me, at least:
>
> [%] port contents coreutils | grep su$
>   /opt/local/bin/gsu
>
> By the same token, perhaps heimdal's su should be installed as hsu. The
> same contention would happen if both ports were installed
> +with_default_names, but then at least it should be fairly obvious to the
> user how to fix.

But the user should be able to install both ports with the
+with_default_names variant.

I know that Debian has a way to solve such problems, but I don't know
how it works exactly or if it can be applicable in MacPorts.

Another solution would be to add a /opt/local/gnu directory, with (at
least) bin and man subdirectories for GNU utilities. The files with
the g prefix would still be installed in the standard place IMHO, but
the files without the prefix would be installed under /opt/local/gnu.
Then the end user could choose to add /opt/local/gnu/bin to his $PATH
before /opt/local/bin if he prefers the GNU utilities, or after if he
prefers the other ones. If for some particular commands, he wants a
different choice, he can still add a symbolic link into /usr/local/bin
or $HOME/bin...

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>