x-11 doesnt use ~/.profile env values

N_Ox n.oxyde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:23:34 PDT 2007

Le 1 nov. 07 à 20:01, William Davis a écrit :

> Terminal is using values in ~/.profile but after starting x-11 and
> going to a xterm window I see from env that /opt/local/bin & sbin
> are not in my PATH.
>
> However SOFTWARE UPDATE is repeatedly timing-out so I believe Apple
> may have a major (=big) update up now. hope so :)

xterm launched by Apple X11.app is not a login shell by the default.
So it won't read init file.
Leopard upgrade may have overwritten your xinitrc file which you
should have modified to get a login shell behaviour:
Change the "xterm" line in /private/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc by "xterm -
ls".
You may also want to edit the Applications menu xterm entry.

But I might be totally wrong there, I don't have Leopard yet.

Regards,

--
Anthony Ramine, the "Ports tree cleaning Maestro".
<nox at macports.org>