Something to "tail -f" during a long build?

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Sat Nov 3 18:06:23 PDT 2007

On 3 Nov 2007, at 20:58, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2007, at 19:05, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
>> Once I've started a long build (for example, of something like
>> gcc42), is
>> there a file somewhere that I can look at with "tail -f" in order
>> to watch
>> the progress of the build?
>>
>> I know that I can start a build with the "-v" or maybe "-d" flag
>> to see
>> more info, but I'm specfically wondering if there's a log file
>> somewhere
>> for the non-"-v" case (for example, for a simple "port install
>> gcc42")
>> that I can look at while the build is running.
>
> No, there's no such option (no such log file).

This is what I do:

1)	sudo port install whatever > ~/whatever.install.log 2>&1
2)	Ctrl+Z
3)	open ~/whatever.install.log
4)	fg

The end result is that I have Console.app open with the log file
while port is running in the Terminal.

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com
http://shyramblings.blogspot.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."