servers down

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 10 17:37:41 PST 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 15:10, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> I'm trying to install apache20, which has dependencies, including
> apr and
> apr-util, and a bunch of other stuff.
>
> I was able to install all the other stuff, sudo port install expat
> openssl
> But when I sudo port install apr0 apr-util0, it attempts to fetch
> from a
> bunch of servers and eventually fails.
>
> Does this happen much, in peoples' experience here?  When it
> happens, is
> there any workaround, such as trying a different rsync mirror or
> something
> like that?
>
> I'm guessing I just have to wait a day and try again.

The ports usually fetch the software from the developers' web sites.
We don't control them, so it's possible that they'll be down from
time to time. But it shouldn't be a problem that often. You can also
always fetch the software yourself, if you can find it elsewhere, and
put it in the right place (which is /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/
${name}). For sites that are frequently down, we sometimes mirror the
distfiles on our own server. You could show us the exact error
messages you're getting so we can look into it and see what's going on.