servers down

Edward Ned Harvey edward.harvey at lyricsemi.com
Sat Nov 10 18:15:08 PST 2007

> The ports usually fetch the software from the developers' web sites. We
> don't control them, so it's possible that they'll be down from time to
> time. But it shouldn't be a problem that often. You can also always
> fetch the software yourself, if you can find it elsewhere, and put it in
> the right place (which is /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/${name}).
> For sites that are frequently down, we sometimes mirror the distfiles on
> our own server. You could show us the exact error messages you're
> getting so we can look into it and see what's going on.

Now that I look closer, I see the first URL that's failing is
www.apache.org.  In fact, their site is not down, and when I go there,
it's easy to see what's wrong.  They have apr 0.9.16 available, but the
one attempting to download is 0.9.13.  So simply the package that "port"
is trying to download is too old.

I browsed around, and 0.9.13 is no longer available.  So I can't
download it myself into the distfiles directory.

I tried "tricking" port by grepping for 0.9.13 under /opt, and editing a
few select files to 0.9.16 instead.  This allowed the file to download,
but the checksum failed.

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Thanks again.