Imagemagick uninstall problems

Luís Beça luis.beca at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:07:58 PST 2007

Hi

For quite a while I've been having problems upgrading and uninstalling
imagemagick (I'm on Leopard but things on Tiger where the same). I
just did

port uninstall imagemagick

and it no longer appears listed as installed. However, if I manually
browse the bin/, lib/ etc. directories, the files are still there and
usable. Indeed, if I now do

port install imagemagick

I get the message (after things are compiled and ready to install
again) that animate, etc are still there. In the past, when upgrading
imagemagick, the process always stopped at the installation phase
because the issued uninstall didn't really uninstall the older files.
I would then have to use -f option to force the install, which indeed
worked  but would otherwise also leave the old files around (with an
added  suffix .mp_somenumber). I would then have to manually erase
them which is a tedious task.

I've been using macports for a long time but never experienced this
behavior before with other ports. Could someone fix this, please?
Thanks in advance,
--- Luis