selfupdate failing under Leopard

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 11:14:01 PST 2007

macports-users at lists.macosforge.org writes:
>Apple doesn't install things into /usr/local, you do. You had a bad
>copy of libreadline installed and it was causing problems.

On 10.5, I see:

/usr/local/include
fuse
fuse.h
ulockmgr.h

/usr/local/lib
libfuse.0.0.0.dylib	libfuse.la		libulockmgr.dylib
libfuse.0.dylib		libulockmgr.0.0.0.dylib	libulockmgr.la
libfuse.a		libulockmgr.0.dylib	pkgconfig
libfuse.dylib		libulockmgr.a

Has the possiblity of checking for the presence of trouiblesome stuff in
/usr/local/bin & lib/ and if so throwing up a terse warning that non-Apple
software has been installed, likely problems that might occur because of
it, and perhaps possible workarounds?  I know forcing MP not to link
against /usr/local is thought though possible right now.

On the other hand, if a user installs stuff in /usr/local/ after
installing MacPorts it wouldn't help unless selfupdate (and/or port) also
checked those paths so maybe it isn't feasible.  The Cisco VPN client uses
/usr/local, though it causes no problems.  Comments?

Mark