selfupdate failing under Leopard

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Nov 16 11:22:55 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 2:14 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:
> On the other hand, if a user installs stuff in /usr/local/ after
> installing MacPorts it wouldn't help unless selfupdate (and/or port)
> also
> checked those paths so maybe it isn't feasible.  The Cisco VPN
> client uses
> /usr/local, though it causes no problems.  Comments?

So the 'problem' is only when the user installs some library in /usr/
local that macports uses and either that install is broken somehow or
the user removes it.

It's good to make macports robust against mistakes, but at some point
we probably have to realize that end-users are going to be able to
configure their systems in ways that are broken, and we may or may not
be able to do something about that specific broken-ness.

--
Daniel J. Luke