Unsuccessful xfig install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 18 01:50:42 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 19:07, Charles Rich wrote:

> Hmmm... I guess I breathed a sigh of relief too quickly.   Xfig
> starts without error, but as soon as I pull down any menu from the
> toolbar, it crashes with the following error:
>
> ~> xfig
> color = '#ffcccc'
>
> xfig3.2.5: SIGBUS signal trapped
> xfig: figure empty or not modified - exiting
> Abort trap
> ~>
>
> Any advice re what to do next?

I'm afraid I don't know; I don't use xfig. Hopefully the maintainer
of the port can comment. I'm Cc'ing him on this email.

[snip]

>> Do you know what this means?  Should I worry about it?

It means the port needs to be updated to not install files into /etc
or /usr. (Ports should generally install files only into ${prefix}
which is usually /opt/local.) The problem is filed here but the port
maintainer has not yet fixed it:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12738

On Nov 16, 2007, at 19:04, Charles Rich wrote:

> P.S.  Similarly with one of the other modules needed for xfig:
>
> --->  Staging transfig into destroot
> Warning: violation by /usr
> Warning: transfig violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
> Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is
> intended), it will be an error in future releases!

Same thing as with xfig: the transfig port installs files where it
probably should not. A ticket has already been filed about this
problem, but the maintainer of the port has not yet taken care of it:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12806

>> Finally, regarding your suggestion enter a ticket re this issue of
>> XFree86 vs. Apple X11, I am afraid I am too much of newbie to do a
>> proper job of that.    If you think it is appropriate, could you
>> please enter the ticket.

Yup, I filed it here:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13333