How to keep MacPorts as slim as possible?

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 20 07:23:55 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Thorsten Zörner wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> how do I keep my MacPorts installation as slim as possible?
>
> I know of this:
> Trashing inactive ports/versions after an upgrade or any time by way
> of
> > sudo port -f uninstall inactive
>
> Now from Fink I know this
> > fink cleanup
> which is being described to "reclaim disk space used by temporary or
> obsolete files".
> Is there something similar for MacPorts?
>
> Are there any other ways?
>
> I'd suggest to have some web site up to answer questions like this,
> preferably on http://www.macports.org/ .
> Or is it there and I simply missed it?
>
> Cheers,
> Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten
sudo port clean all
will remove build directories of failed installations that may be
hanging around. see all man port for more info on "clean". IMHO its a
good idea to do a sudo port clean foo if the installation of "foo"
fails.

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.1 Darwin 9.1.0