Mac OS X 10.3 support (was: Re: Installing python25 on OS X 10.3 failed)

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Nov 22 06:48:30 PST 2007

"Official" MacPorts policy has been that we support the two most
recent versions of Mac OS. Which at the present means Tiger and
Leopard. That doesn't mean that we'll go out of our way to break older
versions, but that we don't promise we won't.

A particularly good example of why this is probably a good idea is the
current situation where we'd like to add additional support for
launchd and startupitems. Launchd wasn't available on Panther, and to
add new support for launchd startupitems will likely mean that ports
relying on the feature will gradually become inoperable on Panther,
where it will be too hard to maintain compatibility using
SystemStarter features. To continue supporting a the 3-year-old
Panther OS would mean restricting support for the newer versions, or
creating an overly-complicated implementation.

James