not specifically MacPorts but tools-related

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:55:24 PST 2007

On 11/22/07, paul beard <paulbeard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with the gcc 3.3-fast compiler? it's
> listed as an option on my system but gcc_select says it doesn't really
> exist. And how do I use the compilers that MacPorts builds, if I ever had a
> need?
>
> gcc33                          @3.3.6          lang/gcc33
> gcc34                          @3.4.6          lang/gcc34
> gcc40                          @ 4.0.4          lang/gcc40
> gcc41                          @4.1.2          lang/gcc41
> gcc42                          @4.2.2          lang/gcc42
> gcc43                          @4.3-20071116   lang/gcc43
>

> And does gcc_select override what's in the Portfile? For instance, python
> 2.5 is balking with gcc 4 (the default) but builds with gcc 3.3. I made
> the change explicit in the Portfile. Could I have saved that step?

Well, I answered one of my own questions: gcc_select has no effect on the
value in a portfile, or to put it another way, you can override it with the
portfile's values.
So that's python 2.5 sorted. What changed upstream, I wonder?

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>