not specifically MacPorts but tools-related

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 24 00:18:35 PST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 23:30, paul beard wrote:

> On 11/22/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I assume the only practical difference between MacPorts gcc_select
>> and Apple gcc_select is that Apple gcc_select only lets you select
>> Apple-installed compilers, while MacPorts lets you (additionally?)
>> select MacPorts-installed compilers.
>
> Apparently, that's the case. Any idea how you add/remove compilers
> from it's list? In either the Apple-supplied one or the MacPorts
> version?

Based on "man gcc_select" (with the gcc_select port not installed), I
assume it's not possible to modify the list of compilers it can
select. If it had been possible, I assume MacPorts would just
piggyback on Apple's gcc_select instead of reinventing the wheel.

Configuration of the MacPorts gcc_select seems to be possible (though
I have not tried it myself). Read "man gcc_select" (with the
gcc_select port installed).