wireshark crashing

Mark Lucas mllists at arc.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 07:52:31 PST 2007

Having noted the various discussion regarding problems with wireshark I have tried everything to get it working , deleting all binaries, reinstalling MacPorts, compiling without X11 running, updating etc. nothing seems to work.
I have found that if I run wireshark with the 'Automatic Scrolling in live capture' turned OFF it does not crash. However if I scroll down to the bottom of the Packet List pane whilst in capture mode wireshark crashes. Similarly if I have 'Automatic Scrolling in live capture' turned ON wireshark crashes when the pane fills up and it tries to draw information on the bottom line of the Packet List pane i.e as it tries to automatically scroll.
This problem existed for me with the latest version of wireshark even under Tiger.

sudo -b wireshark

returns this in the terminal window when it crashes;-

The program 'wireshark' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 42521 error_code 8 request_code 152 minor_code 4)

OSX 10.5.1  G4 dual 1.3 GHz