problem initializing macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 25 11:43:32 PST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 13:29, paul beard wrote:

> On 11/25/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> What Mac do you have? Did you previously have a different Mac, back
>> when you originally installed MacPorts? Maybe you used Migration
>> Assistant to transfer everything (including MacPorts) from the old
>> Mac to the new Mac? IF the old Mac was PowerPC-based and the new one
>> is Intel-based, that could explain the error you're seeing, and you
>> should really uninstall everything and start over. You can use "port
>> installed" to see what ports are installed.
>
> How will that work if the port command doesn't run?

Good question. It might not work then. We might have to dig deeper to
see what's installed. Like this:

cd /opt/local/var/macports/receipts/
find . -name receipt.bz2 | sed -E 's%^\./(.*)/(.*)/receipt\.bz2$%\1 @
\2%'

Or, for the user's version of DarwinPorts before the new layout, I
hope this is it:

cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/receipts/
find . -name receipt.bz2 | sed -E 's%^\./(.*)/(.*)/receipt\.bz2$%\1 @
\2%'

>> It also sounds like your PATH is not correct since it can't find the
>> port command.
>
> Actually, it does seem to find it OK: if the user types 'port
> <something>' and the result is
>
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, no
> suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
> mach-o, but wrong architecture
>
> it sounds like the command is there but if the error message is
> right, that the architecture is wrong.

It sounds to me like the user is having to run "/opt/local/bin/port"
because when just "port" is run this error was shown: