problem initializing macports

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 11:29:45 PST 2007

On 11/25/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> What Mac do you have? Did you previously have a different Mac, back
> when you originally installed MacPorts? Maybe you used Migration
> Assistant to transfer everything (including MacPorts) from the old
> Mac to the new Mac? IF the old Mac was PowerPC-based and the new one
> is Intel-based, that could explain the error you're seeing, and you
> should really uninstall everything and start over. You can use "port
> installed" to see what ports are installed.

How will that work if the port command doesn't run?

Once you reinstall
> MacPorts, you can manually reinstall all those ports. To uninstall
> MacPorts, follow these instructions:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
> FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts
>
> If you're sure MacPorts previously worked on this Mac, then it
> shouldn't be necessary to uninstall, though I can't yet explain what
> else might be going on.
>
> It also sounds like your PATH is not correct since it can't find the
> port command.

Actually, it does seem to find it OK: if the user types 'port <something>'
and the result is

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, no
suitable image found.  Did find:
       /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
mach-o, but wrong architecture

it sounds like the command is there but if the error message is right, that
the architecture is wrong.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>