problem installing Wireshark on Leopard

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 27 07:04:36 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:07 AM, walts wrote:

> William Davis wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:16 PM, Michael Hernandez wrote:
>>
>> [SNIP]
>> OTH I was able to compile atk under Leopard / Intel.  do a
>> sudo port clean --all atk
>> and then
>> sudo port -d install atk
>> the -d will show detail errors -- copy it here
>>
>> William Davis
>> frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
>> Mac OS X.5.0 Darwin 9.0.0
>> Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz
>>
>> Mundus vult decepi, ego non

> I'm having the same issues as Michael Hernandez.  Here's what I get
> following your suggestion:
>
> Macintosh:~ walts$ sudo port clean --all atk
> --->  Cleaning atk
> Macintosh:~ walts$ sudo port -d install atk
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/atk
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> devel/atk
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port atk.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port atk.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port atk.
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/glib2
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> devel/glib2
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port glib2.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port glib2.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port glib2.
> DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_9 provides darwin_9
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: glib2
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: glib2
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/gettext
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> devel/gettext
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port gettext.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port gettext.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port gettext.
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: gettext
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: gettext
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/textproc/libiconv
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> textproc/libiconv
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port libiconv.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port libiconv.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port libiconv.
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: libiconv
> DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for libiconv
> [...]

1. Requested variant foo is not provided by faa when installing faa
only means default variants set by macports itsself to be used if
available are not availble (or needed) with this particular port.
2. when the build of someport (including a dependency) fails, it is a
good idea to do:
sudo port clean someport.
3. so try building the dependencies first one by one,, cleaning first
and using -d so you see the detail
thus:
sudo port clean --all gettext
then: