Problem installing gimp on 10.3

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 28 12:22:33 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 07:06, Tony Tambasco wrote:

> I've recently become the proud owner of a ibook
> running 10.3, but have had some trouble getting
> macports to work in general. Specifically, I am trying
> to get gimp2 to install, but whenever I try I get
> output like the following, which just loops forever,
> swapping in different port names...
>
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> gnome/libgnomeui
> DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by
> port libgnomeui.
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by
> port libgnomeui.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by
> port libgnomeui.
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: libgnomeui
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex
> for: libgnomeui
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/
> ports/gnome/libgtkhtml
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> gnome/libgtkhtml
> DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by
> port libgtkhtml.
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by
> port libgtkhtml.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by
> port libgtkhtml.
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: libgtkhtml
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex
> for: libgtkhtml
> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/
> ports/graphics/libmng
>
> I'm running xcode 1.5 and I do have x11user installed,
> and yes, I tried re-installing macports. All to no
> avail. I've tried a couple other ports, notably gtk2
> by itself, and pidgin, and get the same results. I
> have, however, been able to successfully install
> unrar.

The output you're showing us is not an error, but just the normal
process of figuring out a port's dependencies (with debug output). It
should eventually (up to a few minutes?) begin downloading and
configuring something.

gimp has many many dependencies. You can see the graph here
(generated in October; may be slightly out of date):

http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gimp.png

It will probably take a very very long time (many hours, if not days)
to install all this on your computer. You'll have to be patient. You
can put your computer to sleep any time and it should resume when you
wake it back up.

Since you're getting debug output, I assume you've typed "sudo port -
d install gimp"? Or what command did you use?