Problems installing Oregano.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 1 18:01:05 PDT 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 19:35, mike clemow wrote:

> I'm new to macports from Debian.  I'm trying to install oregano, and
>    all the dependencies have downloaded and installed, but when
> port gets
>    the oregano source, this happens:
>    ------------
>    --->  Fetching oregano
>    --->  oregano-0.3.2.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in
>    /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/oregano
>    --->  Attempting to fetch oregano-0.3.2.tar.bz2 from
>    http://opendarwin.org/~olegb/
>    --->  Attempting to fetch oregano-0.3.2.tar.bz2 from
>    http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/oregano
>      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                     Dload  Upload   Total
> Spent    Left  Speed
>      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
>    --->  Attempting to fetch oregano-0.3.2.tar.bz2 from
>    http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
>      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                     Dload  Upload   Total
> Spent    Left  Speed
>      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
>    --->  Attempting to fetch oregano-0.3.2.tar.bz2 from
>    http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/oregano
>
> - Ignored:
>      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                     Dload  Upload   Total
> Spent    Left  Speed
>      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
>    Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
>    Warning: the following items did not execute (for oregano):
>    org.macports.activate org.macports.fetch org.macports.extract
>    org.macports.checksum org.macports.patch org.macports.configure
>    org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
>    Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>    -------------
>
>    What exactly does this mean?  Does this mean that the file just
> isn't
>    there?  Or should I be asking this on another list?

This is the right list. I see the oregano port still tries to fetch
from opendarwin. opendarwin died quite awhile ago. Also it looks like
the port hasn't been substantially updated since being initially
added on 2004-11-16. The port is for oregano 0.3.2 but the current
version is 0.69.0. It looks like maybe the reason the distfile was
stored on opendarwin is that the project does not release source
tarballs; currently they tell you to pull the source via darcs.
Someone who knows about this software should fetch the 0.69.0 source,
put the tarball up in the macports repository, and update the port to
0.69.0. Probably best to just totally rewrite the portfile.