PHP5 activation error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 2 14:37:54 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 10:58, Michael Jackson wrote:

> I tried upgrading php5 this morning, but ran into the following error:
>
> --->  Activating php5 5.2.3_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5+pear
> +postgresql+sqlite
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
> local/lib/php/.registry/structures_graph.reg already exists and
> does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port php5.
>
> Any ideas what the problem is here? Obviously it has something to
> do with the Structures_Graph PEAR package. Should I just delete
> that registry file? Any help is much appreciated.

PEAR support was removed from the php5 portfile because of constant
problems with files in /opt/local/lib/php already existing and not
belonging to a registered port. But sometime later, someone insisted
on bringing PEAR support back to the php5 portfile as a variant. I'm
not using PEAR at this time, but if I ever start using it again, I'll
be sure to install it manually, completely separate from MacPorts,
and I recommend you do the same, and not use the +pear variant. I
just don't feel it's right to have things like PEAR messing around in
a directory tree (/opt/local) that MacPorts wants to completely control.