Split function broken in Perl 5.8.8

Eric Tiffany etiffany at alum.mit.edu
Thu Oct 4 17:29:20 PDT 2007

The split function fails to work properly on MacOS 10.4.10, either using the
builtin perl (v5.8.6) or v5.8.8 from the MacPorts project.

For example, running this command

perl -e 'print join(":", split(/ */, "hi there"));'

produces no output on MacOS, but produces

h:i:t:h:e:r:e

as expected with perl v5.8.8 on Ubuntu 7.04

I could create a simpler example, but this is sort of canonical, and
it's in the documentation for the split function.

I submitted this problem via perlbug, but I suspect they will throw up their
hands at a Mac version of perl.  So I'm sending it here, too.  Apologies if
this issue is known, but there is no search capability in the worthless
mailman program that runs the macports lists.

ET
Eric  Tiffany           | +1 413-458-3743
etiffany at alum.mit.edu   | +1 413-627-1778 mobile