checksum failure on installing beecrypt

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 7 13:32:16 PDT 2007

On Oct 7, 2007, at 08:31, William Yap wrote:

> On 07 Oct 2007, at 9:02 PM|07 Oct 2007, N_Ox wrote:
>
>> Le 7 oct. 07 à 08:02, William Yap a écrit :
>>
>>> I am running MacPorts 1.5.2, and had a problem when trying to
>>> install beecrypt 4.1.2_0. The error message said:
>>>
>>> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for beecrypt-4.1.2.tar.gz
>>> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify
>>> file checksums
>>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>>
>>> I am not sure whether it is supposed to be an error, or how do I
>>> install this despite the error.
>>
>> Works here.
>> You must have encountered a problem during the source tarball fetch.
>> Run `sudo port clean --all beecrypt` and try again.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. But no good. I checked on the
> internet, and apparently this sort of error does occur from time to
> time, and there is no way of solving it except to manually amend
> the portfile's checksum - but I don't know how to do that! The
> output in my Terminal was:
>
> saruman:~ wghyap$ sudo -s
> Password:
> saruman:~ root# port clean --all beecrypt
> --->  Cleaning beecrypt
> saruman:~ root# port install beecrypt
> --->  Fetching beecrypt
> --->  Attempting to fetch beecrypt-4.1.2.tar.gz from http://
> voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/beecrypt/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for beecrypt
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for beecrypt-4.1.2.tar.gz
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
> saruman:~ root#

It works fine for me too:

$ sudo port install beecrypt
Password:
--->  Fetching icu
--->  Attempting to fetch icu4c-3_8-src.tgz from http://download.icu-
project.org/files/icu4c/3.8/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for icu
--->  Extracting icu
--->  Configuring icu
--->  Building icu with target all
--->  Staging icu into destroot
--->  Installing icu 3.8_0+darwin_8
--->  Activating icu 3.8_0+darwin_8
--->  Cleaning icu
--->  Fetching beecrypt
--->  Attempting to fetch beecrypt-4.1.2.tar.gz from http://
voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/beecrypt/
--->  Attempting to fetch beecrypt-4.1.2.tar.gz from http://
downloads.sourceforge.net/beecrypt
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for beecrypt
--->  Extracting beecrypt
--->  Applying patches to beecrypt
--->  Configuring beecrypt
--->  Building beecrypt with target all
--->  Staging beecrypt into destroot
--->  Installing beecrypt 4.1.2_0
--->  Activating beecrypt 4.1.2_0
--->  Cleaning beecrypt
$

Yes, checksum errors are encountered from time to time, but there are
many reasons why this might occur; they are described in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#IgetError:checksummd5/sha1/rmd160mismatchforport.WhatcanIdoaboutit

In this case, both I and Anthony can confirm that the checksums in
the portfile are correct, so changing the checksums in the portfile
would not be the correct course of action.

It looks like you got a corrupt download from
voxel.dl.sourceforge.net. Maybe that server was malfunctioning. When
I tried to install, it first tried for a long time to download from
voxel.dl.sourceforge.net, which did not respond, before it switched
to a different sourceforge mirror, from which it got the correct file.

I removed voxel.dl.sourceforge.net from the master_sites list in the
beecrypt portfile in r29727. If you "port selfupdate" in half an
hour, you'll get the update, and it won't try to contact that server
anymore.

The only other port specifying voxel.dl.sourceforge.net in the
master_sites is sox, which I've fixed in r29728.