unregistered files/modules

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 00:37:33 PDT 2007

I have just started using Macports and I wonder how to get round the
following annoying problem. Each port that I download complains about
a number of files (between 5 and 35) that are "unregistered". The
install stops at every single error and aborts. As a result, I have a
great deal of manual work, deleting these unregistered files, having
to restart the install each time. Moreover, using root privileges to
delete the unregistered files creates unpleasant opportunities for
typos.

I had a glance at the macports-users archive, but couldn't find an
index. I tried Google, but couldn't find any sensible leads on this.
I read "man port", but it's unclear to me exactly what each option
does, and I'm concerned that I'll do the wrong thing.

1. Where can I find a fuller explanation of the options to "port"
than that given by "man port"?
2. How should I proceed in the light of the difficulties explained in
the first paragraph?
3. I am tempted to download the entire Darwinports/Macports tree, but
it looks as though this would take ages even without the manual work
described above.

Comments on these 3 points would be welcome.

Thanks a lot
David Epstein (David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk)