unregistered files/modules

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 8 00:50:03 PDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 02:37, David Epstein wrote:

> I have just started using Macports and I wonder how to get round
> the following annoying problem. Each port that I download complains
> about a number of files (between 5 and 35) that are "unregistered".
> The install stops at every single error and aborts. As a result, I
> have a great deal of manual work, deleting these unregistered
> files, having to restart the install each time. Moreover, using
> root privileges to delete the unregistered files creates unpleasant
> opportunities for typos.
>
> I had a glance at the macports-users archive, but couldn't find an
> index. I tried Google, but couldn't find any sensible leads on
> this. I read "man port", but it's unclear to me exactly what each
> option does, and I'm concerned that I'll do the wrong thing.
>
> 1. Where can I find a fuller explanation of the options to "port"
> than that given by "man port"?
> 2. How should I proceed in the light of the difficulties explained
> in the first paragraph?
> 3. I am tempted to download the entire Darwinports/Macports tree,
> but it looks as though this would take ages even without the manual
> work described above.
>
> Comments on these 3 points would be welcome.

The entire ports tree is already downloaded to your computer. I
believe it's usually in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports. That's just the portfiles and some
patches, not the distribution source archives of each port.

Please show us the exact error messages you're getting, and what
command you've typed to receive it.