Install glade?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 8 13:20:49 PDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 14:50, Instruct ICC wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 14:00, paul beard wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 2007, at 13:50, Instruct ICC wrote:
>>
>>> sudo port install glade
>>> --->  Configuring at-spi
>> [snip]
>>> checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.4... none
>>> configure: error: no suitable Python interpreter found
>>>
>>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: libgail-gnome
>>> at-spi gnome-panel gnome-desktop fribidi gnome-doc-utils docbook-
>>> xml docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 iso-codes
>>> py25-gobject python25 py25-libxml2 py25-numeric scrollkeeper
>>> libgnomeui startup-notification gnome-menus py25-gtk py25-cairo
>>> libwnck shared-mime-info
>>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>>
>>> Can I continue or is this out of my incapable hands until a
>>> maintainer acts?
>>
>> what version of python do you have?
>
> I don't think I'm supposed to care.  I'm using a package manager to
> handle dependency hell.

Of course. But clearly there is a bug somewhere, or it would have
worked. If you can discover what needs to be done to fix the bug and
tell us, that'll make it that much easier for the problem to get
fixed expediently.

> port installed | grep py
> reports nothing.
>
> port search python
>
> python30 is at .0, so I try
> sudo port install python25
>
> port installed | grep py
> python25 @2.5.1_2+darwin_8 (active)
>
> sudo port install glade
> Password:
> --->  Configuring at-spi
> --->  Building at-spi with target all
> --->  Staging at-spi into destroot
> --->  Installing at-spi 1.20.0_0
> --->  Activating at-spi 1.20.0_0
> --->  Cleaning at-spi
> ... other goodies successful

Great, so it looks like you discovered that python25 should be added
as a dependency of at-spi. I'll Cc the maintainer of at-spi to get
this fixed, since he knows better than I do whether that's the
correct fix, or whether there should be variants for python25 and
python24, or what.

In fact, it looks like this bug was reported a week ago:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12809

I'll add you to the Cc list so you are informed when the ticket is
updated.

> --->  Cleaning docbook-xml
> --->  Fetching iso-codes
> --->  Attempting to fetch iso-codes-1.4.tar.bz2 from ftp://pkg-
> isocodes.alioth.debian.org/pub/pkg-isocodes/
> --->  Attempting to fetch iso-codes-1.4.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/iso-codes
> --->  Attempting to fetch iso-codes-1.4.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
> --->  Attempting to fetch iso-codes-1.4.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/iso-codes
> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: libgail-gnome
> gnome-panel gnome-desktop gnome-doc-utils iso-codes py25-gobject
> py25-libxml2 py25-numeric scrollkeeper libgnomeui startup-
> notification gnome-menus py25-gtk py25-cairo libwnck shared-mime-info
>
> I think another post mentioned adjusting a dist (distribution) list
> when a fetch failed.
> Also, if I find iso-codes-1.4.tar.bz2 online, how can I tell
> Macports to use it?
>
> Thanks.

Put the compressed distfile in ${prefix}/var/macports/distfiles/$
{name}. It must of course have the same checksum specified in the
portfile, since that is the specific archive the maintainer used when
creating the portfile, and the only archive with which the maintainer
knows the port is supposed to work. If the checksum does not match,
search around online until you find the archive with the correct
checksum and use that.

> Wait.  I'd still like to know how to use a tar.bz2 I manually
> download, but I retried and it got past the failed fetch.
>
> Hmm, I see "iso-codes" in "Error: The following dependencies failed
> to build:" above, and "python25" in my initial post.  I suppose in
> the future, I could try to install those packages, then retry the
> main install.
>
> Thanks for your help.  And if you know about the tarball, please
> let me know.  If I build it manually, I would need the correct /opt
> path, unless Macports could just use it unpacked.
>
> Hmm, I see /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/iso-codes/iso-
> codes-1.4.tar.bz2
> Maybe drop AnyPackage.tar.bz2 in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/
> <the port search name AnyPackage>/<AnyPackage.tar.bz2> if a fetch
> fails but I can find it online???

Yes, but you should also report a bug in Trac. Maybe the master_sites
of the portfile need to be changed. Maybe we need to host the
distfile in our Subversion repository. MacPorts is a community
effort. If you find a problem, don't just work around it for yourself
and move on; please report it so that it can be fixed for everybody.

> Well, it almost worked:
> --->  Cleaning libgail-gnome
> --->  Fetching glade
> --->  Attempting to fetch glade-2.12.1.tar.bz2 from http://
> mandril.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/linux/gnome.org/sources/glade/2.12/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for glade
> --->  Extracting glade
> --->  Configuring glade
> --->  Building glade with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome
> _glade/work/glade-2.12.1" && make all " returned error 2
[snip]
> gcc -O2 -o glade-2 debug.o editor.o gb.o gbwidget.o
> glade_widget_data.o gbsource.o glade.o glade_atk.o
> glade_clipboard.o glade_gnome.o glade_gnomelib.o glade_gnomedblib.o
> glade_gtk12lib.o glade_keys_dialog.o glade_menu_editor.o
> glade_palette.o glade-parser.o glade_plugin.o glade_project.o
> glade_project_options.o glade_project_view.o glade_project_window.o
> keys.o load.o main.o named_icons.o palette.o property.o save.o
> source.o source_os2.o styles.o tree.o utils.o -Wl,-framework -
> Wl,CoreAudio  -L/opt/local/lib gbwidgets/libgbwidgets.a gnome/
> libgnomewidgets.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib /opt/local/lib/
> libgnomeui-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgnome-keyring.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libbonoboui-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libgnome-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpopt.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libgailutil.dylib /opt/local/lib/libart_lgpl_2.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libatk-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.dylib /
> opt/local/lib/libtiff.dylib /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libpangocairo-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.dylib /
> opt/local/lib/libpango-1.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libcairo.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libexpat.dylib /opt/local/lib/libpng12.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libXrender.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgnomevfs-2.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libxml2.dylib -lpthread /opt/local/lib/libdbus-glib-1.dylib /
> opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.dylib -lssl -lcrypto -lz /opt/local/lib/
> libhowl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libesd.dylib /opt/local/lib/
> libbonobo-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgconf-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/
> libaudiofile.dylib /opt/local/lib/libbonobo-activation.dylib /opt/
> local/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libORBit-2.dylib
> -lresolv -lm /opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/
> libgthread-2.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib /opt/local/
> lib/libglib-2.0.dylib -lSM -lICE -lX11 /opt/local/lib/
> libintl.dylib /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib -lc
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> __
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [glade-2] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't know what to do with this last error.

By the way, please remember to use your mail program's New Message
function when you want to write a new message to the list. Please do
not reply to unrelated messages and change the subject line. Threaded
mail readers and the list archive will still consider your message a
reply to the unrelated message, which is confusing.